Sunday, April 14, 2013

KAP Profile - Kathryn (Student)

Greetings again MADKAP supporters, and welcome to our second student profile...this one featuring Kathryn.  Kathryn stands out in the KAP college program for a number of reasons, including her west coast affiliation and her gender...most estimates place the male-female ratio for autism at 4:1.

A quick summary from the program:  "Kathryn has a great personality and is blossoming on WKU's campus.  She is also an advocate for autism and will even be presenting at the national autism conference next fall!  We are excited to watch Kathryn grow and look forward to her bright future."

Let's hear more from Kathryn in her words....(and I don't know about you, but as far as cookies go, date meringue sounds delightful to me)

Q:  What year are you at WKU and what is your major?
Kathryn:  This is my first year at WKU, but I am a sophomore.  My major is Sports Management with a minor in Communication Studies.

Q:  Where are you from?
Kathryn:  I am from Southern California, halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego...a very long way from home!

Q:  Why did you select WKU?
Kathryn:  I chose to attend WKU because of the Kelly Autism Program.  There are only a handful of colleges and universities in the United States with autism programs, and none are on the west coast, so coming to Kentucky was an obvious choice.

Q:  What are your biggest challenges with college?
Kathryn:  I think the biggest challenge is that it's extremely difficult for most people to identify that I have a disability.  If I don't reach out to my professors and tell them that I am mildly autistic, then this is misinterpreted as "Kathryn doesn't live up to her potential".

Q:  What does KAP provide for you?
Kathryn:  KAP has provided the extra support that I have always needed in school.  Every day when I go to KAP, there's always someone there to help me study or to decipher a concept I didn't understand from a lecture.  KAP has provided me with opportunities to speak out on self-advocacy, and that's a blessing because I have a lot to say since I was only diagnosed at eighteen (18).  I've met many friends from KAP too, so it's comforting to have this built-in community and pass familiar faces on campus.

Q:  What do you want to do with your education after you graduate from WKU?
Kathryn:  I took a semester off at one point, and that made me realize how much I love school and to learn.  I wouldn't be surprised if I went on to pursue another degree after WKU.  I want to work towards a career in Public Relations, so whatever it takes for me to accomplish that goal!

Q:  What are your hobbies and favorite things to do?
Kathryn:  I love to bake and experiment with old family recipes; date meringue cookies are the latest success!  When I'm home on the west coast, I take advantage of the beautiful weather and load my road bike and head to the Hollywood Hills.  I also keep up on sports, so going to hockey, baseball, and basketball games is one of my favorite things to do.

Q:  What do you want potential supporters of KAP to know?
Kathryn:  I'm new to WKU and the Kelly Autism Program this semester, but I've already experienced how helpful it is to have this network of people who strive to be there for each student.  I feel more confident when I study on my own now, because KAP has provide great techniques in order for me to be successful.  I want potential supporters to know that being in the Kelly Autism Program still allows me to have the typical college experience but provides opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise.




Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IconIconIconFollow Me on Pinterest

Blogger news

Blogroll

What's Hot