Monday, May 6, 2013

KAP Profile - Sarah (Leadership)

Greetings MADKAP loyalists.  Time again to introduce yet another face of KAP.  And it's an important one in terms of KAP's college program....it's the KAP College Program Manager, Sarah.  Sarah is the manager, coach, trainer, and referee of activities that include a couple of soccer games worth of KAP college students.  Daily study tables, reviews of academic progress, dinners and gatherings, class schedules, mentor support, communicating with parents....she does everything but vacuum.  Which, of course, is a bit of an exaggeration.  She does that too if needed.  But she does it all with a smile that reflects her genuine joy in working with the students.  And she's unquestionably mportant to KAP's college students.  Students like my son.  Let's put the spotlight on Sarah for a moment.

Q:  Will you share some of your background with us?  What led to your involvement with KAP and how long have you been part of the organization?
Sarah:  I grew up in Owensboro, Kentucky and graduated from Apollo High School.  During high school, I was a peer tutor and this is where I found my passion for working with special needs students.  I went on to attend WKU for both my Bachelor's and my Master's degrees.  During my college career, I worked at the Kelly Autism Program and Migrant Head Start.

I got connected with KAP during my junior year of college.  I was in a behavior management class and worked with a young man who had autism.  He was part of KAP so I began volunteering there.  Then, after my class, I had the opportunity to continue working with this young man and to become part of the KAP family.

Currently I am the Program Manager for KAP's college program.  I have been in this position for the past several years.  I love the college students and consider it an honor that we get to do life together!

Q:  What are the most common challenges for KAP college students and how does KAP help address them?
Sarah:  Each of the participants of KAP are individuals and with this brings specific challenges and strengths for each person.  I think KAP addresses these needs on many levels.  We look at the whole person and the participants learn to problem solve issues in their lives.  We also provide a place for them to be and belong.  I have to credit our staff with the welcoming environment they have created for our participants.  KAP staff is invested in the participants and this shows on a daily basis.

Q:  What aspects of KAP's plans for the next few years energize you the most?
Sarah:  I am seeing our college program continue to grow as we try to address the needs of this population.  We were able to expand our program and hire another full-time staff member to help me run the Circle of Support.  It excites me to continue to work with such deserving people from across the United States!

Q:  What do you like to do when you're not working and being involved with KAP, and what are some of your favorite things?
Sarah:  When I am not involved with KAP, I love to travel with my husband and friends.  I also enjoy kayaking and spending time outdoors.

Q:  What does additional financial support and scholarship funding enable for KAP?
Sarah:  Additional financial support will allow KAP to serve more individuals with autism at the college level.  It will also provide support for those who are already a part of the KAP family.  This support can help to ensure that our participants receive the support that they need.





Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IconIconIconFollow Me on Pinterest

Blogger news

Blogroll

What's Hot